Wolfgang Klos, Viola
Wolfgang Klos was born in 1953 in Vienna, Austria. In 1977, he earned his diploma with honors by unanimous decision, along with the award of distinction from the Minister of Science at the then College of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna. While attending high school at the Theresianische Akademie, where he completed his A-Levels in 1971, he simultaneously studied at the former Academy for Music and Performing Arts Vienna and Law at the University of Vienna. His enduring encounters with Ernst Krenek and Max Rostal, who was also his teacher, significantly influenced his artistic development.
A laureate of numerous competitions, Klos seamlessly combines the skills of a soloist and the expertise for chamber music and orchestral performance with a strong commitment to pedagogic and socio-cultural endeavors. He was a member of the Vienna Symphony Orchestra from 1975 to 1977, a soloist for viola at the Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich from 1977 to 1981, and a soloist for viola with the Vienna Symphony Orchestra from 1981 to 1989. He served as a Professor at the Provincial Conservatory of Vorarlberg from 1977 to 1989 and, from 1984 to 1989, as adjunct faculty. Starting in 1989, he held the position of full professor for viola at the Music University of Vienna.
The focal point of his artistic activities lies in the realm of chamber music. As a member of the Vienna String Trio since 1981, he has garnered international acclaim through numerous concerts, TV productions, and recordings. Noteworthy is his participation in the recording of string trio compositions with an almost encyclopedic scope, earning him international recognition. As a soloist, he is esteemed in Europe, overseas, and the Far East as a prominent representative of the Viennese interpretational style, which he is dedicated to promoting on the global musical stage.
Wolfgang Klos is also a respected authority as a juror for national and international competitions, a teacher of master courses, a lecturer at congresses, and an author in specialist journals. He served as students’ representative from 1972 to 1977, as a member of the advisory board of the orchestra from 1978 to 1981, as Head of the Department of String and Other Instruments from 1991 to 2002, and as Vice Rector of the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna from 2002 to 2007. In 2003, he was awarded the Grand Decoration of Honor for services to the Republic of Austria. He plays the viola built by Giovanni Battista Ceruti in 1780.